Monday 13 June 2022

  

TRYING TO REMINISCE WITH SAMIR BANGARA-CHATTING WITH AN INEXTINGUISHABLE FLAME

                                        Exactly a year ago I posted this message. https://scsbangara.blogspot.com/2021/06/in-memoriam-samir-bangara-1974-2020.html

 

 It has been difficult to accept that two full years have gone by since you abruptly left us. True to our understanding of life and death and the philosophy of always seeing the glass half full, I shall try to narrate my observations on the legacies you left behind.

 Sometimes I feel that a tombstone with an appropriate epitaph is a good place to chat. But then, it was with great wisdom that our ancestors chose the path from dust to dust. Your close friends made sure despite COVID being at its peak, a part of your remains was given a royal send-off at the prettiest and the holiest river site. The family watched you glide past the favourite location at the approaches to the Mumbai harbour where your mother too rested. Makes me proud of having served Lord Varuna for decades

In my last message, I said that I am willing to wager that you will not be forgotten just because you are out of sight. I am delighted that your creation, QYUKI has continued to grow in strength. Also, your home radiates your presence in all the activities. Avantika, your devoted wife,  a mother par excellence, and a caring daughter-in-law describes it as “ the Ocean of happiness he left behind”. That in turn enables us to face the roller coaster ride of life.

 

 And so, when I was invited to join QYUKI at the inaugural session of the well-laid out and modern office complex, I was delighted to accept it and to address all, including those who have joined the company after your departure. The old faithful lot was present even on a Sunday, but the new staff who have only heard about you were equally enthusiastic to interact with the Bangara family. Raihan and Jahnavi were equally excited for another reason. As you can see from the picture below, a massive mural of you has been strategically located on the wall of the large hall.

 

 


 






 

You know what, where ever one stands in the hall, you can be seen! Much like a ubiquitous big brother!

 On two occasions in my life, I have seen another phenomenon. First at the louvre in Paris, when one looked at Mona Lisa from no matter where in the gallery, she seemed to look at you. The second is the framed picture of your mother, which sits beside yours, now in my living room. You had got that done on that fateful day when she preceded you by two years. Her eyes appear to follow you as you move around the room. I am told it is to do with the angle of the camera shot. But who cares, so long as she makes her presence felt at all times. Who knew that I was doomed to frame your picture even before my time was up? Perhaps you are already back in another avatar to do greater good to all those who continue to touch your life.

I have not reconciled to my loss. But on reflection, my loss appears less intense when compared to so many who do not have the family support that I have. Quite serendipitously, a point-driven home often in my current occupation of assisting terminally sick patients. Perhaps a divine intervention to mitigate or alleviate my pain. It acts as a balm to my soul.

 

 It is heartening to see young Raihan preparing to go for higher studies this fall. People see a lot of you in him. I have no doubt that he will be guided in all that he does by that invisible hand made visible by what he carries on his cell-your hand covering all theirs on your last journey. Symbolic, and it is meant perhaps for the whole family.

When asked about the pain deep within me, a wise nonagenarian who still is my mentor, replied,” the pain never goes away but it will be filled with sweet memories with time.” Yes, thankfully time is finite as I walk into my sunset.

Take care my son-Au Revoir!

ps "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same; ...." so wrote Rudyard Kipling in his poem "IF." My apologies for cherry-picking just what I needed now to reaffirm my faith in treating both with equanimity. 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Samir. As we know him, love him and remember him...always.

    This day is etched in my mind so deep. Please know that we share in your loss and hold you in our thoughts today and everyday.

    Sending love and prayers to all of Samir's loved ones 🙏🏼💕 May you continue taking life head on with grace, dignity and all the strength we wish upon you.

    Best always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any father with a grown up son would realise how even a thought of loosing the son sends chill through the spine. No word of condolence can ever lessen your deep grief sir but the manner in which you have concealed it behind your smile is truely praiseworthy and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete